Not many people in the world have perfectly straight teeth. Fortunately, orthodontic treatments are a highly effective way you can get a smile that you have always dreamed of. At Senestraro Family Orthodontics, we may recommend Damon Braces for a straighter set of pearly whites.
Difference Between Traditional Braces and Damon Braces
Traditional braces consist of metal brackets that are attached to archwires. These wires place pressure on your teeth and force them to move into the correct position over time. Braces also consist of colored rubber bands which help to keep the wires attached to the brackets. This treatment involves “conventional litigation.”During your treatment, you will be required to visit us every few weeks so that we can measure the movement of your teeth, adjust the pressure of the wire, and tighten your braces. Although this procedure is very effective, its one major drawback is that it can be very uncomfortable to your gums, inner cheeks, and teeth. Damon braces on the other hand involve more recent technology that is based on “self-litigation.” The main difference between traditional brackets and Damon braces is that the latter uses a wonderful sliding mechanism that puts gentler pressure on the teeth and let them move at their own pace. These braces are designed to reduce the friction between the brackets and archwire, hence reducing sensitivity in the teeth. With Damon braces, you can get excellent results without using expanders. In addition, these braces are more discrete than traditional braces.
Benefits of Damon Braces
Even though both traditional braces and Damon braces are very effective ways to treat crooked teeth, Damon braces have some benefits over regular braces:
- Damon braces are less noticeable than traditional braces. You can also choose to have tooth-colored wires on these braces to make them even more discrete.
- The self-litigation method reduces discomfort associated with orthodontic treatment.
- According to some studies, Damon braces may show faster results than traditional braces in some cases.
- Damon braces also do not need rubber bands which can become a breeding ground for bacteria.
- Some studies have also found that by using Damon braces, you have a lower risk of relapse.
Damon braces offer a lot of benefits and very few cons. If you are seeking to straighten your teeth but want to avoid the discomfort and embarrassment that comes from wearing metal braces, Damon braces are a great alternative.