Oral Maxillofacial surgeons specialize in diagnosing and treating injuries, diseases, and defects affecting the jaw, mouth, and face through surgery. Most cases addressed by an oral and maxillofacial surgeon are beyond the expertise of a regular dentist. Therefore, most patients suffering from complex complications requiring surgery are referred to an OMS expert. Some common oral and maxillofacial procedures include:

Wisdom Teeth Management and Extraction

Many people in need of wisdom teeth extraction experience poor teeth eruption. Whether there’s a third molar that results in overcrowding, impaction, and wrong positioning, an oral maxillofacial surgeon performs the removal surgery and extracts the teeth that pose a risk to the patient’s oral health.

Dental Implant Surgery

Dental implants are usually used to fill the gaps left after a tooth has been extracted, knocked out, or affected by disease resulting in tooth loss. An oral and maxillofacial surgeon will replace the tooth’s root with a metallic screw-like post during a dental implant placement procedure. The metal post provides sufficient support for the artificial tooth, which is referred to as a crown. The crown is designed to feel and look like real teeth.

Corrective Jaw Surgery

This type of procedure is also referred to as orthognathic surgery, is used to treat a range of functional issues that affect chewing, biting, speaking, and breathing. Corrective jaw surgery is also vital in addressing sleep apnea and appearance issues. There are many reasons why a patient is advised to undergo corrective jaw surgery, and that’s why it’s important to consult an expert to determine if it is the best treatment option for you.

Facial Cosmetic Surgery

Many oral and maxillofacial procedures have aesthetic benefits, as they enhance the appearance of patients. Some of the treatments known to have cosmetic benefits include nasal reconstruction, ear, and ear surgery, lip enhancement, Botox injection, and more. If you need any of these procedures, it is advisable first to consult a dentist.